Company: Travelers Group
Location: Diamond Bar
Posted on: November 19, 2021
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
The Select Underwriting Center Underwriting Director (UD) is
responsible for underwriting, profitability, growth and retention
of new and renewal business that is consistent with underwriting
strategies within an assigned territory. Hires, develops and
retains staff of Underwriting Center Account Executives with
emphasis on development through guidance and mentoring.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
People and Talent Management:
- Establish individual Account Executive territory goals in
support of established territory goals and CAT strategies.
- Evaluate staff to identify skills and training needs; create
opportunities to expand roles to match employee strengths or
address weaknesses. Provide both formal and informal feedback on a
- Development of staff of Account Executives through effective
coaching and mentoring via performance evaluation, creation of
development plans, and conducting technical training sessions.
- Effectively communicate the mission and vision and of Select
and their role in the process.
Underwriting Quality & Profit:
- Manage territorial underwriting functions to achieve profit,
revenue, loss ratio, and expense targets. Implements CAT
underwriting strategies and manages CAT capacity within assigned
- Ensures effective execution of Selects Best Practices,
including Underwriting, Workflow and Playbook.
- In conjunction with the Regional Underwriting Director delegate
underwriting authority to staff via letters of authority; monitor
and revise as appropriate.
- Ensure a quality underwriting work product is produced
consistent with letters of authority, underwriting strategy,
standards and process.
- Ensure underwriting quality through implementation of effective
- Completes self assessment reviews of Account Executives in
accordance with agreed upon sample standards. Provide coaching and
training for underwriting staff based on results of self assessment
underwriting review process.
- Works with the Operations Director to ensure that all
processing and service standards are met.
- Participate in agency planning process as prescribed by the
Agency Planning Best Practice.
- Communicate identified agency production, training or quality
issues to Sales Director(s).
Strategic Platform Management:
- Facilitate communication between Sales Executives and Account
Executives and act as liaison between the Field and the Business
- Develop and maintain relationships with Business Center, as
well as other internal resources (Claim, RC, Premium Audit etc.) to
coordinate the services to Select Accounts customers.
Enterprise Relationship Management:
- Demonstrates the ability to build partnerships with other
business groups and identifies and delivers agency and product
solutions at the account level.
- Maintains an understanding of all Travelers products, services
and solutions and initiates discussions with other business units
- 6 years of experience in underwriting, sales, product or a
closely related field.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 8-10 years of relevant underwriting experience preferred.
- Leadership/management experience preferred.
- Experience in small accounts preferable.
- Extensive knowledge of product, operations, and agency
- Demonstrated performance management experience and skills
including setting clear goals and priorities; coaching and
developing others; providing timely and consistent performance
- Ability to manage own work and effectively delegate and direct
the work of others.
- Strong organizational, quantitative reasoning, critical
thinking, interpersonal, time management, verbal and written
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead self and others
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Executes Business Strategy
- Leads Change
- Drives Results
- Promotes Enterprise Culture
- Attracts Top Talent
- Maximizes Individual and Organizational Performance
- Creates and Sustains Dynamic Workplace
- Communicates Effectively and Influences Others
- Applies Critical Thinking
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness; Accountability
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Careers at Travelers
When you work at Travelers, life's most important moments become
your life's work. That means helping families feel secure,
businesses to prosper, knowing that you've made a difference, and
feeling like you belong to something bigger. It also means being
part of a team comprised of 30,000 + talented and passionate people
that are evolving to meet changing needs - from customer service to
data science and beyond. If that's more than you imagined in an
insurance career, it's time to join us at Travelers.
Keywords: Travelers Group, Diamond Bar , Underwriting Director, Executive , Diamond Bar, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!