Outside Auto Appraiser - Inland Empire
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Location: Diamond Bar
Posted on: May 12, 2022
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a
nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries
for this role across the country. The actual salary for this
position will be determined by a number of factors, including the
scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education,
training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other
conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation
and benefits program, employees are also eligible for
performance-based cash incentive awards.
$56,300.00 - $92,900.00
What Is the Opportunity?
Under direct supervision, this position has responsibility for
inspecting, estimating, negotiating, and evaluating 1st and 3rd
party auto physical damage claims, including both personal and
business insurance claims. The claim types will be basic to
moderate physical damage coverages as it relates to damage
assessment. This includes collision, comprehensive, property damage
related to autos, rental and towing as well as fire, theft, flood,
lightning, diminished value claims and any claims that involve
injuries. The actual resolution and settlement of these claims will
be the responsibility of the Auto Claim Professional. This position
also has responsibility for complete claim handling (i.e. first
notice of loss through resolution/settlement and payment process)
on claims that meet specific criteria as defined by Auto Product
guidelines. This subset of claims makes up approximately 15-20% of
the total workload volume. This position will serve as a technical
resource for inside auto claim staff and will provide advice and
direction to claim professionals on claim damages to achieve
optimal outcomes. This position is based 100% remotely and may
include a combination of mobile work and/or work from your primary
residence. This job does not lead others. As part of the hiring
process, this position requires the completion of an online
pre-employment assessment. Further information regarding the
assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be
provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for
LOCATION REQUIREMENT: This position services Insureds/Agents in the
surrounding Inland Empire communities. The selected candidate must
reside in or be willing to relocate at their own expense to the
assigned territory. Ideal locations include Ontario, San Bernardino
and Riverside surrounding areas.
This position is based 100% remotely and may include a combination
of mobile work and/or work from your primary residence.
What Will You Do?
- Delivers consistent service quality throughout the claim life
cycle, including but not limited to prompt contact, explaining the
process, setting expectations, on-going effective communication,
and follow-through and meeting commitments to achieve optimal
outcome on every file.
- Effectively manages work assignments and promptly travel to
location of vehicle / equipment. Arranges to view vehicle /
equipment if not readily accessible.
- Scopes claims utilizing technical expertise and information
gathered to accurately determine physical claim value of claims
using company recognized resources, estimating and evaluation
- Establishes the physical damage claim value of assigned
- Prepares and documents accurate vehicle / equipment damage
appraisals, Actual Cash and Replacement values according to
applicable regulatory and corporate guidelines.
- Partners with the assigned Claim Professional throughout the
life of the claim. Partners from initial investigation through
final recovery to ensure appropriate claim resolution and pursuit
of alternative recovery sources (e.g. Subrogation, SIU, etc.).
- Negotiates the claim with the customer and/or repair facilities
leveraging appropriate resources and achieve agreement on value
including required payments.
- For applicable Total Loss claims, determines settlement
amounts, including applicable coverages and deductibles.
- Negotiates and conveys claim settlements within authority and
initiate payment to the customer, including total loss, rental
- Partners with the Auto Claim Professional throughout the life
of the claim. Partners from initial investigation through final
recovery to ensure appropriate claim resolution and pursuit of
alternative recovery sources (e.g. Subrogation, SIU, etc.).
- Provides all lines of business and departments, i.e. property,
Boat and Yacht, Inland Marine, Public Sector, etc. with inspection
assistance as needed, including Catastrophe response.
- Effectively manages work assignments and tracks savings and
- For claim types that meet the specific criteria as defined by
Auto Product guidelines for complete claim handling
- ( i.e. first notice of loss through the resolution/settlement
and payment process) the following duties are concurrent with those
- Reviews and analyzes coverage and apply policy conditions,
provisions, exclusions, and endorsements pertinent to a variety of
1st party auto damage claims.
- Conducts damage management including properly managing the
- Establishes timely and maintains appropriate claim and expense
- Develops, documents and continually updates a plan of action,
including maintaining an effective diary to manage file inventory
and bring the claim to resolution in a timely manner.
- Communicates claim damage assessment following negotiation of
value with repair facilities.
- Obtains authorization to initiate payment to the
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job,
acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required
to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally,
license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job
and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- This position will require participation in our Catastrophe
Response Program which could include deployment away for a minimum
of 16 days which includes 2 travel days to assist our customers in
- Perform other duties as assigned.What Will Our Ideal Candidate
- Associates Degree, Bachelors Degree or Technical School Degree
- Two years of auto appraisal experience preferred; prior
experience with insurance carrier preferred.
- Strong technical background including extensive knowledge of
auto repair and repair techniques, including thorough understanding
of auto terminology and construction preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of claims appraisal systems and overall
claim operations, Windows proficiency, including Excel and
- Ability to promptly travel, with little or no advance notice,
demonstrating effective planning, expense and cost control
- Strong mathematical and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ownership attitude and customer centric response
to all assigned tasks.
- Strong teamwork skills.
- Ability to remain current on jurisdictional laws and
regulations, and communicating compliance requirements to other
claim staff as appropriate.
- Commitment to continuous education.
- Competency Levels:
- Analytical Thinking Basic
- Judgment/Decision Making Basic
- Communication Basic
- Negotiation Intermediate
- Insurance Contract Knowledge Basic
- Principles of Investigation Basic
- Value Determination Intermediate
- Settlement Techniques Intermediate
- Auto Technical Intermediate
What is a Must Have?
- High School Degree or GED with a minimum of one year auto
appraisal experience required.
- Valid Driver's License
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members -
including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible
for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions
dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to
an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in
the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment
toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual
contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a
Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of
20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised
of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness
goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to
professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources
to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're
eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the
communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved.
Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that
enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Diamond Bar , Outside Auto Appraiser - Inland Empire, Other , Diamond Bar, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!